Facts You (Probably) Didn’t Know About Chocolate 🍫
- The tree that makes cocoa beans is called “Theobroma Cacao”, namely “food of the gods.”
- Cacao trees make marketable beans for the first 25 years of their lives but continue to grow for hundreds of years after.
- One kilogram of chocolate is made from about 900 cocoa beans.
- One regular serving of milk chocolate contains the same amount of caffeine a cup of decaf coffee does.
- The largest producer of cocoa in the world is Cote d’Ivoire. It produces about 40% of the world’s supply.
- Chocolate manufacturers mostly outsource their cocoa beans from cocoa farms.
- Cacao beans were used as currency by early Mesoamericans. That’s how valuable they were considered!
- Benjamin Franklin also sold chocolate in his Philadelphia print shop.
- Unfortunately, chocolate is not good for dogs or cats and, as much as you love them, this is one treat you should not share.