10 Benefits of Golden Milk or Turmeric LatteGolden milk is a versatile drink and it can be mixed with various other spices or made with different types of milk. The traditional recipe is made from cow’s milk and turmeric but you can now find many recipes using coconut milk, cinnamon, vanilla, or even black pepper. We recommend you try all of them and find the one that suits your taste buds. As for benefits, turmeric latte is packed with protein, antioxidants, and essential vitamins and minerals. Therefore, it’s safe to say that it’s a wholesome and nutritious drink that can significantly improve your health and wellbeing. And that’s on top of it being delicious! Although we could go on and on about the benefits of golden milk, here are 10 of the main ones:
1. Immune System SupportThe nutrients and vitamins in golden milk can boost your immune system and help your body fight off disease and improve your overall well-being. Turmeric also has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties, protecting you from common colds or infections. For even more immunity against common illnesses, you can also add some ginger and cinnamon to your turmeric latte.
2. Reduces InflammationInflammation is linked to many health issues from heart disease to Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, arthritis, and even cancer. Luckily, curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, also has powerful anti-inflammatory properties and there are studies to back that up. In one study, turmeric was shown to be just as effective as arthritis medication in reducing inflammation in arthritis patients. So, enjoying golden milk on a regular basis can reduce inflammation and help your body stay strong and healthy. We recommend adding a touch of cinnamon and/or ginger to your turmeric latte to further enhance its anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Mood EnhancerLooking for a simple way to improve your mood? Look no further than golden milk. Consumed regularly, curcumin can enhance your spirits and even reduce symptoms of depression, as one study found after giving subjects curcumin supplements to take along with their antidepressant medication.
4. Improves Memory and Supports Brain FunctionOn top of improving your mood, a turmeric latte can also prove effective in improving brain function and memory. Studies are currently being carried out on animals to determine the effectiveness of turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon in preventing issues like memory loss, tremors, and Parkinson’s disease. The results thus far are promising and further studies will be carried out on humans to determine how effective these ingredients can be.
5. Fights Against Cell DamageJust like inflammation, cell damage is associated with many serious health issues. The antioxidant properties of curcumin, the main ingredient in golden milk, can improve cell function and prevent cell damage, thus reducing the risk of illnesses like Alzheimer’s, stroke, or auto-immune diseases.
6. Prevents Heart DiseaseAmong the many illnesses, turmeric latte can protect you against, we can’t leave out heart disease. Heart disease is very prevalent nowadays and there are many studies being carried out in an attempt to find a solution to prevent it. Some of these studies are looking into how the main ingredients in golden milk can lower the risk of heart disease as curcumin along with ginger and cinnamon are known to contain essential protein and minerals as well as antioxidants. Even though the data from such studies are not yet conclusive, there are plenty of indications that turmeric latte has many properties that are beneficial to our health and is a simple way to provide our bodies with essential nutrients.
7. Digestive AidTurmeric is a plant belonging to the ginger family and is widely used in India as a digestive aid and a remedy for nausea and vomiting. Adding golden milk to your daily routine and enhancing the traditional recipe with a touch of extra ginger is an easy way to improve your digestion and your gut health.
8. Cancer-Fighting PropertiesThe anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of curcumin, ginger, and cinnamon are believed to be efficient in preventing cancer or at least lowering the risk of developing this disease. No definitive studies exist to support these claims, but the wide use of these golden milk ingredients in Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicine are definite signs that they work to reduce the risk of certain illnesses and reduce symptoms.
9. Blood Sugar RegulatorControlling blood sugar levels is essential, especially for diabetes patients and those at risk of becoming diabetics. Small studies have been and are now being carried out to determine whether curcumin and ginger can help lower and regulate blood sugar levels. In 2017, one of these studies conducted on a placebo-controlled group of 50 people concluded that taking just 2 grams of ginger per day is helpful in reducing fasting blood sugar levels in patients with type 2 diabetes.
10. Improves Bone StrengthLast but not least, enjoying a daily dose of golden milk, especially if you use cow’s milk, can help make your bones stronger. Turmeric latte is a great source of calcium and vitamin D, both of which are essential to maintaining bone health. How to Make Golden Milk Convinced golden milk is your ticket to better health yet? We figured! It’s now time to put it to the test. Here’s how easy it is to make your own turmeric latte at home:
- Method 1: Use a blender to blend all of your ingredients together
- Method 2: Make turmeric paste and then combine it with milk and your spices of choice
- Add ginger and cinnamon for extra anti-inflammatory and antioxidant power
- Make sure the turmeric is cooked
- Combine the turmeric with a small amount of black pepper to increase the absorption of curcumin
- Only use clean/organic ingredients to get maximum benefits and detox your body
- 0.5L almond milk
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- A pinch of black pepper
- Optional: 1tbs maple syrup (sweetener)
- Add milk and the rest of the ingredients to the blender
- Blend until smooth
- Pour into a glass
- Sprinkle some cinnamon dust
- Serve hot 🧡