🫑 WHY WE LOVE CELEBRATING WORLD VEGETARIAN DAY 🫑
🥦 A vegetarian diet is good for your healthYour body will thank you for choosing a vegetarian diet as it is high in vitamins, minerals, and all-important fibre. Vegetarian meals typically include a lot of vegetables, nuts, and seeds that are high in unsaturated fat, essential vitamins like vitamin C and vitamin E, and essential minerals like magnesium, as well as fibre and antioxidants. These nutrients can help manage cholesterol and blood pressure and lower the risk of heart disease. A vegetarian diet is also ideal for maintaining a healthy weight. 🥕 A vegetarian diet is good for the environment Many adopt a vegetarian lifestyle for ethical and humanitarian reasons as choosing to go meatless helps save animal lives. On top of this, choosing a vegetarian diet also helps the environment by conserving fossil fuels. It actually takes 78 times less fossil fuel to produce one calorie of soybeans than it does to produce one calorie of beef. 🥬 Vegetarian foods are delicious Yes, many will say that a vegetarian diet is too bland and that vegetarian food is less than delicious. However, meatless doesn’t also mean tasteless and it certainly doesn’t mean ‘no fun’. In fact, with a little imagination and inspiration, you can cook almost any recipe you can think of without meat and find tasty vegetarian options for anything from pizza to pancakes and even ice cream.
🫒 9 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT VEGETARIANS 🫒
- While ethical, health and environmental reasons are the ones that primarily attract many people to vegetarianism, this lifestyle also has financial, political, cultural, and artistic benefits.
- Many famous people were vegetarians, from Mohandas Gandhi and Jane Goodall to Benjamin Franklin, George Bernard Shaw, Mark Twain, Sir Isaac Newton, John Harvey Kellogg, Henry Ford, and, funny enough, even Meat Loaf.
- The earliest famous person known to be a vegetarian was the Greek philosopher Pythagoras, who lived and consumed a vegetarian diet around the end of the 6th century B.C.
- Even Geoffrey Giuliano, the actor who played Ronald McDonald in the original film, is now a vegetarian.
- When you choose a vegetarian diet, your body’s metabolism improves and burns calories up to 16% faster than if you were eating a meat-based diet.
- In the 20th century, English schoolmasters recommended vegetarianism as a way to limit the ‘appetite for self-abuse’ of students.
- Out of all the countries in the world, the US has the highest meat consumption.
- The country with the most vegetarians in the world is India. Indians make up 70% of the world’s vegetarians. In fact, vegetarianism can be traced back to ancient India.
- Fruitarians, unlike vegetarians, have a diet that is based solely on fruits, nuts, seeds, and plant material that is obtained without harming the plant.